Saturday, January 18, 2014

30 Day Honey Challenge-Intro

            Welcome to the 30 Day Honey Challenge! I don't know about you, but I'm pretty stubborn when it comes to a lot of things in life and am an "I'll believe it when I see it" type person. So, if you didn't get the memo already, the 30 Day Honey Challenge is about seeing if honey (in combination with nutmeg some days, but I'll get to that) really makes your face as spectacular as many people says it does. Why?

1) My facial cleanser is almost gone, so I figured what better time to try something cheap and even MORE natural. (Although the Bee Naturals face wash I've been using is pretty spectacular and reasonably priced.)
2)  My face wash is pretty much the only bath and body product I use that isn't completely natural and made by yours truly. (Although I guess I'm not the one making the honey, but you get the idea. ;) )
3) Honey is said to be amazing and spectacular for ALL skin types: dry, normal, oily, acne-prone, etc. It is antibacterial, antimicrobial, antiseptic, an antioxidant, (catches breath) AND a humectant. Pretty spiffy stuff, huh? It's arguably better than tea tree oil. (Ok, maybe I won't go that far, but they are both pretty awesome in their own right.) In case you're wondering what the humectant business is all about, in a nutshell it makes honey a great natural moisturizer.

            There are varying "reports" on how often you should wash your face with honey and how long to keep it on each time. For example, among the links below one suggests twice DAILY while working it into the skin for a few minutes is best, another 3 times a week for around 15 minutes, and finally 30 minutes to an hour starting off once a day for a week and gradually decreasing it as your face clears up/gets smooth/etc. etc. As always, everyone is different and what works for some may not work for others. However, I highly suggest checking these links out to get some ideas and learn more about the great qualities honey offers more in depth.

*Crunchy Betty's "Food on Your Face: Honey"
*Haven's "The Honey Cult"
*You+Me=Fit's "Food on My Face: Raw Honey"

            With all of that being said, I have decided to try out a combination from a couple of the above links while still trying to keep things as simple as possible. (I'm all about simple with OR without kids. Who's with me?) Since I have had major problems with acne since I was a teenager, I'm going to wash my face every day and alternate between straight raw honey and straight raw honey mixed with a dash of nutmeg every other day. ("The Honey Cult" post said nutmeg was particularly good for acne because it has anti-inflammatory properties amongst other things.)
            Furthermore, I will be posting daily updates with pictures (Scary, I know. Prepare yourselves and hide small children.) for visual proof of whether the honey regimen is working or not. I'll even start today off with some pictures from 3 angles of my face right after washing with straight honey for the first time. (See below.)
            Before I frighten you with pictures of myself, I want to invite YOU to join me. I would love it if YOU joined in on the challenge too. Use the same plan as me or come up with your own. I'd love to hear how/if honey works for you as well!

I would lie and say I look that tired because I hadn't been awake for very long, but I pretty much always look tired. I'm kind of like Vince Vaughn in that way. I'm also starting to wonder if I have a slightly lazy eye. Wtf?! I also promptly plucked my willy worm eyebrows after taking these pictures. Ok. I'm done rambling and picking myself apart...for now. P.s. Sorry this post ended up being so long. 

6 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see what results come from the Honey Challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm....never really used honey for other than food. I will have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honey for your face. Why haven't I tried this? I'm in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg! I luv honey! I use it for a facial scrub, and as a hair treatment on occasion. Thanks for sharing your experiment! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hair treatment, huh? You've got me there. I haven't read anything about using it in your hair. Now my interest is piqued!

      Delete