Wednesday, January 29, 2014

One of those things other parents don't warn you about...

            Recently, I had one of those "fun" experiences that no other seasoned parent warns you about. Isn't it funny how parents are over eager to share some parenting experiences with you, but totally neglect other ones that would have been nice to know about ahead of time so you could at least prepare yourself?
            A couple of weeks ago, I took Myka for her 15 month check-up. I was mostly concerned he was going to make a big deal of her not walking on her own yet.(For the record, I wasn't and am still not worried about it. I know she'll walk eventually. But you know how doctors are sometimes. :P) As usual I was anticipating how she would react to the shots, but that was about it. I didn't give a second thought to how the rest of the visit would go. Big mistake on my part.

            Obviously you've never met my daughter in person, but she's pretty laid back for the most part as I've probably mentioned a million times. She's always done really well at the doctor's except for her vaccines, of course. Even then, she usually calms down pretty quickly. So, much to my surprise and embarrassment, she threw a holy fit this check-up. It all started with the nurse trying to measure her head and didn't get any better from there. She finally calmed down by the time the doctor came in...Then proceeded to scream bloody murder the entire time he examined her. You would think he was torturing her, or killed her puppy, or something equally terrible.
            This is the first time she's ever reacted this way at a check-up. Being the silly noob parent that I am, I figured doctor visits would only get better as she got older. Ha! What a joke! So consider this my warning to all of you first time parents: Just because your baby handles check-ups well at first doesn't mean it will stay that way or even get better as time goes on. If you're lucky and it does stay the same, good for you. Just don't expect it. Prepare yourself for the worst. Consider yourself warned. ;)

 

6 comments:

  1. Haha! Thank YOU for the warning. You're right, we think that the more they have the same experiences, it has to get better, right? NO! Well, not always. I remember my oldest daughter going through a stage like this and I'm waiting because my youngest is hitting this stage right now and we have a Dr. appt Monday. UGH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took my 3.5 year old for a speech therapy appointment for the first time a couple months ago and just before we left he had a TOTAL tantrum. I had to carry him out crying and fighting me all the way to my car. Everyone was staring at me and I felt like crying myself. He had never had a tantrum before. You never know what to expect from kids, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh I'm sorry mama! My daughters have always been awesome with check-ups but the love watching Doc McStuffins on Disney Jr. Maybe getting her a play doctor set for stuffed animals or baby dolls would help?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Doc McStuffins, but we don't get to see it any more since we're not babysitting and don't have cable at home. lol Funny enough, we got a play doctor set in the mail a few days after her visit and she LOVES playing with it!

      Delete
  4. Ever since my son was born he has been in love with his pediatrician. She is a pretty red-head and no matter what mood he is in as soon as she walks in the door there is a huge grin on his face and he becomes the most cooperative child in the world. He is now almost five years old and it's still the same every time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome and you are so lucky! I hope she grows out of it when she gets older, but we'll see. She used to be so good. :(

      Delete