Monday, January 6, 2014

VBAC Series: Facts & Support



            Welcome to the first day of my VBAC series! This is something I feel very strongly about and hope to help spread the word about and information on VBACs. I will be covering several topics relating to them AND be sharing stories from women have had VBACs themselves, so make sure to check back daily for the next week or two!    
            First of all, what is a VBAC/what does it stand for? VBAC stands for Vaginal Birth After Cesarean. Many people still remain unaware that this is even a birthing option, but, thankfully, they have been gaining popularity in recent years.
            Some of you may be thinking, "Isn't that dangerous? I've always heard that once you have a c-section you have to have one for any subsequent births." This is not exactly true. While yes, some circumstances may warrant a repeat c-section, many women make great candidates for VBAC. Also, repeat cesareans come with their own set of risks. Neither a VBAC or repeat c-section are going to be completely without risk. If you find yourself in a situation where you're considering which to go with, you have to weigh your options. Some people will be more comfortable with the risks associated with a repeat c-section than a VBAC and vice versa.
            In order to keep this relatively short, I'm not going to go any more into the various aspects of VBACs and I'll try to keep any "preaching" to a minimum, but if you would like to know more about them if you're not familiar with them I encourage you to check out the links below. This is just a small list of various websites or groups that can provide you with way more information than I can! (Although feel free to message me if you any questions, concerns, or just want to chat about VBAC in general. I'll do my best to answer any questions!)


*ICAN (International Cesarean Awareness Network) This site is a good jumping off point if you're feeling less than thrilled about your cesarean and looking for support and information on VBACs as well. They also have a Facebook group you can request to join, as well as local chapter groups.
*VBAC Facts - I LOVE this website! It is a wealth of information, including common myths around c-sections, lots of "numbers" and study results relating to cesareans and VBACs, how to plan for a VBAC, etc. Seriously. Go check it out.
*VBAC.com - This site has some great resources on the side for mom-to-be, including info on uterine rupture, how cesareans affect babies, how to increase your odds of a successful VBAC before and during labor, and more.
*Plus-size-pregnancy.org's page on CS & VBACs - Not all of us are size 6's, so I thought I would share this page.
*ImprovingBirth.org - Articles on how to prevent c-sections, artificial induction and acceleration of labor (and why you should avoid it), and general VBAC articles, such as why they're banned in some areas. 
*Mothering.com - Extensive list from a forum post on planning a VBAC, finding a doula and/or midwife, etc. 

*Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional. The information in this post should not be taken as medical advice.  

 

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for all of the links! I am planning second section but wanted to try VBAC...for several reasons I am undecided but thank you for sharing so I can read more!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! I have quite a few more links on the upcoming posts this week as well. Good luck with whatever you decide. :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for posting this! We will be TTC within the next few years and I am hoping for a VBAC. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! We are hoping for the same. I've been researching this stuff off and on since I had my daughter. I hope you find this week's posts helpful! :)

      Delete
  3. I had a successful VBAC 11 months ago! I had a scheduled section for my first pregnancy, because I had breech twins, so when I got pregnant with a singleton, I knew I wanted to try to have a VBAC. And it was a great decision! Recovery was awesome in comparison. And many other things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love hearing about successful VBAC stories! My c-section recovery wasn't terrible compared to what I have heard from other people, but I can't help but feel a little jealous when people who have vaginal births talk about how quickly they heal. ;)

    ReplyDelete