Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Clingy Kid & Changed Opinions...




            You may have seen on my Facebook page recently that Myka has turned into a clingon all of a sudden. No, really. It was like an overnight change. She's always been little miss independent and one day she just started wanting to be picked up constantly. That's not really an over exaggeration either. I'm still not sure what caused the change: teething, not babysitting any more, just a phase, etc. Regardless, it's thrown me for a loop. Just when you think you've got them figured out, right?


            I hate to say it this way because it makes me sound like a horrible parent, but there's no real good way to put it. This whole change in behavior comes at a rather inopportune time as it coincided with my new mission of cooking and making more of our food. (Have I ever mentioned I hate cooking? It's slowly growing on me.) Don't get me wrong. Of course I enjoy spending time with my daughter. (Hello? Why do you think I quit work?) But I caught myself daydreaming the other day about how it would be nice to have one of those baby carriers so I could still get stuff done around the house...
            This seems like an innocent enough thought, right? Well, it's kind of ironic for me. In case you haven't caught on to it, I'm not a "babywearing" fan. Yes, we have a hiking carrier that I use quite frequently when it's nice out. I don't consider that babywearing. More and more often, though, I have found myself wishing I had one of the normal, comfy, everyday kind of carriers. You know, the soft ones that are comfortable for your kid AND you to wear? (Not saying my hiking carrier is uncomfortable. I love that thing. I did have a cheap Infantino job when Myka was smaller and it is crap. Pretty sure it was originally designed for torture, not babywearing.)
            So, I just wanted to say that I totally get it now. I know the majority of you who babywear probably do it because you want to be closer to your baby, and that's cool. But I totally get the convenience factor too now. I just want to be able to cook a meal without having a little girl climbing my leg or crying because I can't pick her up right that second, for her sake and mine. Until then I'll be daydreaming about Boba carriers...

6 comments:

  1. I really really recomend babywearing. But you can do it with a sheat of clothe also. You just need a long, resistant clothe that you can wrap around you and the baby. There are instructions in Youtube, and no, I don't have a link to give you, sorry. But I carried my son with a clothe like that and it was really good for my back. And he loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a really good idea! As much as I like saving money, I can't believe I didn't think of that! I will definitely have to look up a video on Youtube. Thanks so much!

      Delete
  2. My daughter-in-law was just here for 8 days and she wore our little grandbaby all over the place at different times throughout the visit. She even helped me take down the ornaments on the tree w/the baby in the carrier. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Never Thought Of It That Way Great Idea To Have Baby Close To You At All Times!!! Thanks For Sharing!! XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a Baby Bjorn for my son and I miss the days of carrying him around. He is 3 years old and so independent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm totally with you on this one! I loved my baby carrier - it gave me a chance to hang out with my little ones and do something else during the day.

    ReplyDelete