Saturday, January 11, 2014

VBAC Series: Birth Story #2 - Amanda M.

 
             Thank you for joining us again today for our second VBAC story! Today's comes to you from Amanda M. from Lubbock, TX. Again, all the birth stories in this series are told by real mothers in their own words.

            After 40 or so hours of what was later diagnosed as prodromal labor, my husband and I went in to L&D early Labor Day morning. I was only 2 cm and 80% effaced. The on call doctor at the time told me if no progress was made by the afternoon I would need another c-section. They were concerned about size since the last ultrasound a week or so before put my baby at almost 10 pounds and I was a VBAC. They admitted me and gave me my own room after a few hours of monitoring in triage. I expressed my wishes and concerns to my nurse and she spoke to the on call doctor on my behalf. Since my waters were intact and baby girl was good, she agreed to let me stay overnight to see my doctor the next morning.

             Around 8:15am on September 3rd, my doctor broke my water and we started a low dose of Pitocin. A couple hours later I got my epidural. It wasn't the original plan, but after 66 hours of prodromal labor with little sleep, despite drugs, I couldn't handle much more. By noon I was 8cm dilated and baby was still looking good. My nurse put me in different positions to help baby drop into position. Shortly after 2pm the "practice pushing" began and my doctor was paged. After maybe 30 minutes of pushing my beautiful 9 lb 7 oz baby girl was born.

            Amanda also added that her first child was delivered via scheduled c-section due to breech presentation at 38 weeks and 5 days. Her second (the above story) was born when she was 40 weeks and 3 days, after beginning prodromal labor on her due date.

No comments:

Post a Comment