Monday, July 28, 2014

Starting Tot School

            Hey folks! If you have been hanging around for awhile, you will know that I'm a little "coo coo for Cocoa Puffs" when it comes to educational activities sometimes. So, it should come as no surprise that I am starting a modified version of "Tot School" with my daughter Myka.
            In case you're not familiar with the term, Tot School isn't a specific, rigid, curriculum type thing. (I have a feeling another mommy blogger came up with the term to succinctly describe the educational activities, crafts, etc. that she did with her young child(ren) and it just took off amongst the blogging community.) Basically, from what I have come across on the internet, tot school pages provide personal resources on educational activities for very young children, which usually include printable packs on a specific theme (such as letters, numbers, animals, you get the idea), as well as craft projects, book suggestions, and more. There are some really neat and fun ones out there!
            While I'm sure there are PLENTY more sites I just haven't come across yet, I have really liked the printable packs from 1+1+1=1 and oopsey daisy. I have an  animal alphabet that I printed from one of the packs from 1+1+1=1 that I mentioned in a previous post. I intend on using some more of the printable activities from that set as well when Myka gets a little older.
            Speaking of being older, now that Myka is almost 2, she has been showing quite a bit of interest in learning words, letters, shapes, etc. lately. So, I decided now would be a good time to start something I've been meaning to do for awhile now: Introducing a letter of the alphabet and doing activities, crafts, etc. relating to it for 2 weeks at a time. I most recently got some ideas from Sunshine, Lollipops, and Rainbows.


            Naturally, we're starting with the letter "A". I have to admit I'm still trying to get all of my crap together for it, but I did make this cute little felt apple tree and basket that I copied off of something I found on Pinterest. This is a major win because 1) I've been having crafting withdrawals since I didn't bring my crafting supplies with me from Arkansas. 2) It involves felt, which is one of my new favorite crafting supplies because it is so cheap and you can use it in so many projects! 3) Myka seemed to like it and me counting the apples. 4) Anything fun from Pinterest is a win! I also have some craft activities to do with Myka as well as put some flashcard type things on the wall that show pictures that all begin with the letter "A". (I hate wasting ink, so I just printed the black and white versions and colored them in myself. lol)
            Since I will be doing these more often than my seasonal crafts and activities for Myka, obviously, I hope it won't take me too long to get into a rhythm of getting everything ready ahead of time. I have always been a chronic procrastinator, so we'll see. ;) I have my felt bees and hive done already for the letter "B", so that's a good start, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment