Wednesday, February 12, 2014

SAHMdom & Friends: Mutually Exclusive?


            This is probably going to sound like a pity party, and perhaps it is a little bit. However, I know I'm not the only sahm out there who has trouble making friends. So buckle up for the ride and let's do some venting and brainstorming!
            My husband and I are originally from Indiana, which I'm sure I've mentioned a million times. Long story short, we met at the factory we worked at together there, got laid off at the same time, were tired of Indiana in general, so we moved to Arkansas. Why Arkansas? Good question. The best answers I can give are 1) My brother and sister in-law live here, so we had someone to stay with while we found our own place and 2) It wasn't Indiana.
            4 years later, several jobs, several moves, and a baby later, I still don't have anyone here that I actually do things with. I have a texting buddy that lives about 30 minutes away, but we've never gotten together to do anything. I had a friend from a previous job for awhile, but it kind of dawned on me one day that we don't really have a lot in common besides kids. Maybe I'm just too picky, but that's not a good enough reason to be friends with someone for me, not to mention I always swore up and down before I even had Myka that I wouldn't become friends with people just for the fact that they had kids too.
            I did discover a playdate group for my town back in the summer. However, I've always been afraid that those women would be pretentious, snooty b**ches and my suspicions were somewhat confirmed when I happened to go to an event at the library that some of them went to for one of their meetups. Oh. Not to mention they have "annual dues". Sorry, but that seems silly to me and I decided not to "join their group" based on principle. Again, maybe I'm just too picky. But what's the point in being "friends" with someone if you don't/can't feel comfortable around them?
            Honestly, I'm starting to think part of my problem is that I'm too picky. I also feel like Arkansas is a completely different world as far as the people go, which doesn't help. Plus, I've always been shy around new people and now that I'm home with Myka all the time I'm starting to feel a bit like a stray animal that hasn't been socialized when I go out in public. When I do happen to talk to other moms, my mind reels afterwards with all of the things I should have said or asked them.
            So, what's a mom to do? Personally, I have been making a better effort to get out of the house more often. If not for my own sanity, for Myka's. She needs to be around other kids. She needs to socialize. (Plus I'm hoping she'll want to start walking if she sees other kids her age doing it. lol)
            We did start going to the library on Wednesdays again for their Baby Steps program. It's great because it's for kids under 18 months and we sing songs, play with toys, and read a book. I did meet another mom there last week who has a daughter the same age as Myka. The bonus was that she didn't run away in horror when she saw we cloth diaper and I told her we make our own bath and body stuff like shampoo, body wash, etc. She was actually really intrigued and asked a lot of questions, so that was exciting!

            I'm also going to start trying to take Myka to a little kid's gym at least once a week if we're able. It is literally just down the road and only costs $4 for the entire day. Not a bad deal! We just went for the first time last week as well and we both had a blast! There was only one other parent and child there at the time and she didn't really show an interest in chit-chatting, but oh well. Myka got to be around other kids and work on some gross motor skills which I feel like she needs.
            Have you struggled with making or keeping friends since becoming a mom? Where do you like to go to meet other like-minded parents?

10 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I fee the exact same way :) I think we would make great friends if I didn't live in Winnipeg ;) Ok, you've given me inspiration to sign up for the music class with my son that I've been putting off. Who cares about the moms and their judging ways lol Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely sign up for it! That sounds like a lot of fun! I would probably sign up to do more fun programs like that with my daughter if 1) We had more than one income and 2) Most of the cool stuff like that wasn't in Little Rock, which is an hour drive. lol

      Delete
  2. Ok stop being a creeper and writing about my life! I have the same issue. It wasn't so bad being in the military because at some point you just make "friends" with your neighbors and whatnot. But this past year now that we're civi's I have found to be my most difficult season of finding friends and people that I want to hang out with. Working from home does not help making friends in person any easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh ya! It is so hard! I do know women I could get invite over and get to know, but it's just so hard to make the effort when I feel like we're always in survival mode with a baby and toddler. I should probably just do it anyway! I think the same things, oh they're probably snooty, won't like me, won't relate to my lifestyle, etc, but I think that's probably more of a fear than reality once you get to know people. It was sort of one of my new years resolutions to try and make friends here, but uh ya hasn't happened yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I'm not the only one who thinks like that, but you're probably right. It's probably just a silly fear getting in my way. :/

      Delete
  4. I'm not a mom (yet) but I struggle with making friends now too. I'm 22 and childless but i've been w/ my boyfriend for six years now, living together for 5.5 so we're really "settled down" even though we don't have kids so I really don't relate well to people my age who are still focused on partying, drinking, dating, etc but it seems like everyone my age who ISN'T doing those things is a parent so they're too busy to be friends or they feel like I don't "get" them. Friendships are a lot harder as adults!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, you are preaching to the choir! lol I had the same problem when I was your age. (ha "your age" Like I'm SO much older than you. I just turned 27 last month. ha!) I still liked to drink then, but I didn't like going out to bars. It seems like everyone I met at my jobs here was a pothead, which I have no problem with, but I wasn't and am not into that, especially as a lifestyle like it seems to be here. Then there were the people who did have kids when I didn't and I think they felt the same way as you described. *sigh* I totally understand where you're coming from!

      Delete
  5. One of the reasons that I am loving staying at home is the fewer interactions with other people. I am an introvert and am much happy chilling with just my family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am an introvert for the most part too, though I don't think a lot of people see me that way. I will say I'm a lot more comfortable staying home and being a hermit too. ha ha But the lack of connection with other people is starting to get to me.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for stopping by the Pintastic Party and contributing your article!

    ReplyDelete