Monday, June 16, 2014

The Power of Modern Day...Herbs?

*Warning: This post contains what some might consider "tmi". I'll be talking about my period. (Or lack thereof.) Don't worry. No gory details, just about it in general. You've been warned!

Muira puama, dong quai powder, and damiana

            My irregular periods are nothing new, unfortunately. Aunt Flo started taking extended vacations again starting in the late summer/fall last year. What really baffles me is that I had normal cycles for almost a year, starting right after Myka was born since we didn't end up breastfeeding all that long. :/ (That's a whole other can of worms.)
            As I mentioned a few months ago, I gave in and went to my gyno. I knew she would want to put me on some type of medication to get my periods regular again, and she did. I did make it very clear that I wouldn't be going on any kind of birth control, which she respected my wish for. I was also happy she actually did blood work to 1) make sure I really wasn't pregnant and 2) to check my hormones, because I have had issues with them in the past.
            Nothing came back funky with my blood work and I've never had an abnormal pap smear, so I came to the conclusion that it's probably just because I'm overweight. You hear about it all the time...especially on the show "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant". lol Regardless, I still took my few months supply of artificial hormones and hoped Aunt Flo would get her sh** together.
            I thought everything was hunky-dory when I had 2 periods within a week of each other, so I didn't bother to take the last month's worth of pills because, quite frankly, I have ALWAYS hated taking pills if it's not necessary. Well, lo and behold a few more months go by, it's April, and I haven't had a visit from Aunt Flo since the beginning of January. -_- Wth?
            So, instead of opting for the pill route again, I decided to give my herbal "Aunt Flo inducing" tea a shot again, which brings me to the whole point of this post: There is something to be said about herbal remedies. While in general they do seem to be gaining popularity, there still seems to very much be a stigma or skepticism surrounding them for most people. What I don't understand about this is...where do people think modern day medicine stemmed from? But I digress...
            As far as my Aunt Flo herbal tea goes and regulating cycles, it may not work as quickly as the generic Provera that I took, but it seems to work more consistently. Consistency is a good thing when it comes to menstrual cycles. Sure, it's kind of nice not having one every month, but at the same time it's not very healthy either.
            I spent pretty much the entire month of April trying to make sure to drink one cup of this tea a day. I finally got my first cycle since January on May 6th. I will admit I only drank this every other day or so for the first couple of weeks after my period because, well, I wasn't exactly trying to not get pregnant. (You should NOT drink this tea if you think you may be pregnant. You can find out more about this tea in general and how to make it HERE.) Needless to say, I was a little surprised when Aunt Flo came to visit only a day late this month since I hadn't drank the tea regularly during May.
            Moral of my story: I highly suggest looking to "alternative" or herbal remedies the next time something ails you. You might be surprised to find that it works better than regular medication. :)

Disclaimer: I am not a licensed medical doctor nor should my opinions and suggestions here be taken as or replaced by professional medical advice. I simply wished to share my experience with others who may have similar female issues and/or are considering trying out herbal remedies. Please always consult with a physician before trying any new treatments, herbal or otherwise. I am not responsible for any negative outcomes the information I have shared in this post may cause to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment