Friday, October 25, 2013

Rearranging: Montessori Style (BLT)

            Some of you may have read the other day that my husband and I are starting to incorporate some aspects of Montessori education into our house. I still have a LOT to learn, but I’ve done some rearranging of Myka’s books and toys, so I thought I would share.
“Theme” area. Definitely need to work on this so it’s not just books and stuffed animals. (Not that there’s anything wrong with those.)
Another theme area, but it’s more for shapes, colors, and numbers rather than “fun” stuff like animals, fall, etc. I actually need to pull this table out again since Myka doesn’t really fall. Make it easier for her to get around and play with stuff. (Even though she always goes straight for the shape puzzle. Lol She LOVES that thing!)
With all of the new birthday presents (especially puzzles!) and the fact that Myka liked messing with the stuff in these cubes anyways, I decided to make it a sort of puzzle area.
We're doing an animal theme to start with since there's a plethora of those in our book stash. There is a cube for domestic animals, farm animals, and wild animals. I was going to split them up, but decided not to. I was surprised to find that Myka enjoys the farm animal items the best, which is what she's playing with in the picture. 


            I really like having certain items set out for Myka to play with as she pleases because she stays interested and plays with things for longer. I didn’t care to have a whole mess of toys out to begin with. I have to completely agree with one of the blogs I found while researching some things the other day. She said something along the lines of, “The more toys you have out, the quicker your child will get bored. It doesn’t make much sense, but it’s true.” It really is. If you don’t believe me, try it some time. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment