Wednesday, October 29, 2014

4 Ways to Light a Jack-O-Lantern Without Burning Yourself!


            Hey folks! I suppose I should have posted this sooner considering Halloween is only a few short days away. However, we didn't really get around to putting our decorations up and carving our pumpkins until about a week ago. Anyways, I don't know about you, but I'm a weeny when it comes to lighting jack-o-lanterns because I'm always afraid I'm going to burn myself. Let's face it: There's no real good way to go about it...normally. I usually make my husband do it, to be honest. This year I finally remembered a way to do it myself and got to thinking about some other ways that might work for those of you out there that have the same issue as me!

1) If you happen to be "damn dirty hippies" like we are, you can use stick incense. You'll want to do this after lighting your incense but before blowing it out, of course. You can either go in through the mouth if able or still take the lid off and go that route without worry of burning your hand. I'm liking this method so far because you can either put the incense out after lighting your pumpkin and reuse it over and over or take it back inside and make your house smell good each night you light your pumpkin!
2) I don't know how common these still are in households, but the good ole stick lighter is a good standby too. I used to love using that thing to light candles and whatnot when I still lived with my parents. I'm not sure why we don't have one...
3) My husband just told me a nifty one: Evidently you can light a dry spaghetti noodle to light candles, incense, etc. etc. I've not tried it personally, so I can't say how fast or slow it will burn.
4) You could also plan ahead of time and carve your jack-o-lantern with a big enough mouth to fit your hand in. Then you wouldn't really need to worry what method to use to light your pumpkin.
5) For you pyromaniacs out there, you can use a blowtorch. Just kidding! ...Although I guess that would get the job done. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment