Monday, March 10, 2014

Tea Party-Making Memories

            You may remember from a few weeks ago I got inspiration for a couple of posts from a writing prompt on the Blogging Mamas blog hop-Making Memories. Well, this is the second post! The only reason for spacing them out so far apart is that I've been on a roll for post ideas and already had a bunch scheduled. lol
            Unless you're new around here, you should probably know by now that while I am all for teaching your kids how to play on their own (because who can't use a bit of sanity in parenthood?), it's also important to find at least a little time in the day to play with your children one on one. Trust me: Even though I only have one kid for now, at the end of more days than not (and more than I would like to admit) I find myself "mentally kicking myself" for not taking more time out of the day to play with her. (To be somewhat fair, there are times when I try to play with her and she doesn't want me to. lol Talk about little Miss Independent!) They are only little once, and yet I keep taking advantage of it, it seems.
             With that being said, I do greatly enjoy the times that Myka and I do play together for an extended period of time. Of course we don't exactly have a say in what we do and don't remember later on in life, and maybe I'm just weird, but do any of you other parents have those moments with your children where you feel like a memory is in the making? I had one of those the other day with my daughter.
            At first I thought it was just because I was trying to come up with a blog post about making memories with your children, like I mentioned at the beginning of this post. But, in hindsight, it was so much more than that, and I can't really describe it to where it makes sense! lol The best way to put it is that it was one of those "little moments" that will somehow be stuck in your memory until the end of time.
             Myka and I were having a "tea party". I hadn't exactly set it up to be a tea party, but that's exactly what it looked like, in hindsight. I came in the living room to play with her. She was playing with her exciting "new to her" dishes (aka mommy's old play dishes that Gigi (my mom) recently sent through the mail). So I sat down and "had tea with her".
            I may not remember this specific tea party, and she sure as heck probably won't, but I will remember having tea parties with her in general, I'm sure. And I'll surely remember how smart she was. I know she's in the "mimicking" stage right now, but I'm admittedly biased and it amazes me that she will pretend to drink from the little cup and even make sipping noises, as well as use her play fork to eat the invisible food off of her plate, like in the picture below, at only 16 months old.
            So...For once, I'm not really sure how to "wrap up" this post. (I know. Long-winded me is at a lack for words? D:) I guess what I'm trying to say is that even the simplest, everyday type occurrence/play can turn into a sentimental, lifelong memory. At least for you, as the parent, if your children are still really young like my daughter. And that's ok if you're the only one who remembers certain things. The most important thing is that you make time for these memories to occur. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment