Sunday, March 9, 2014

"Sometimes Just One is Just Right" Children's Book Review

Disclaimer: I received a digital copy of this book through Netgalley.com to facilitate this review. All opinions are my own.

            Hey folks! I have an excellent little book to share with you today, especially if you happen to be the parent of an only child!
            Since I grew up as an only child myself, I can speak from personal experience that sometimes it can be totally lame. However, it does have its advantages as well. Sometimes Just One Is Just Right is a great book to help show only children the pros and cons of being such and that it's ok to feel one way or the other about it at times.
            The story is about a boy who is an only child who sometimes finds himself wishing he had brothers and sisters like his cousin Nico, but at other times is grateful that he is the only child. For example, he sometimes wishes he had siblings because you always have someone to play with that way. At other times he's glad he is the only one because he doesn't have to fight over the tv remote with anyone and gets it all to himself.
            Like I said, as an only child (even if I am 27 years old now), I absolutely loved this book and wish I would have been able to read it when I was younger! I always wanted my mom to have another kid and oftentimes, even to this day, didn't see many positive things in being an only child. Even some of the scenarios mentioned in the book I never really thought of as being a positive thing before.
            Bottomline: The author does an excellent job to point out the positive and negative sides of being an only child in ways that children can understand. This is a must-read for any only child!

6 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great book! I'm not an only child, but I have quite a few students who are. I'll have to look into this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this book about being a lone sibling. I'm middle child of 7, and many times I wished I was an only child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I can understand that too! My mom was the youngest of 8 kids.

      Delete
  3. Wow, this is such a unique premise. I think being an only child is becoming more prevalent too, so perhaps this will be on the library shelves as a must soon. Thanks so much for bringing it to our attention on the Kid Lit Blog Hop

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a book that would be perfect for my only child. Thanks for sharing. I will have to look for it. I hopped over from the KidLit Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one definitely fills in a bit of a void. I can't even imagine having been an only child, but I do remember asking my hubby's cousin about it (she was an only child). She said she loved it and she never felt a need to have siblings because she was so close to her cousins. Goes to show how important extended family is too! I like Sally's comment up above! lol Thanks for joining us in the Kid Lit Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete