Monday, April 16, 2018

5 Reasons to Grow Tomatoes (Even if you don't like them!)


            I don't know about you, but I am ready to get out there and plant some stuff! If only Mother Nature would stop PMSing and the weather would stop flip-flopping back and forth. As I write this, it is over 70 degrees here in Indiana...With a chance of snow again in a few days! Ugh. Stick a fork in me. I'm done with this nonsense!
            Anyways, I thought we could all daydream some today until the time comes when we can actually plant! Let's talk about tomatoes...
To be totally honest, I can't stand tomatoes by themselves. I don't eat them on sandwiches, salads, very rarely tacos, and you get the idea. Don't like 'em. However, I still definitely eat tomato products: ketchup, taco sauce, spaghetti sauce, etc. I don't know what it is about mashing them up and adding other ingredients to the mix, but it makes them ok. ;)
             With that being said, we still grow tomatoes in our garden every year. Why? Here are a few reasons we (and you) should grow tomatoes too!

*They are easy to grow.
As far as actually growing them goes, they're pretty easy plants to take care of. Sure, you need cages for them, but that's not really a big deal. Other than that, the biggest issues we've had taking care of ours are the tomato hornworms and, if planted too close to squash, squash bugs. Really, though, they're a great plant for a beginning gardener to try out.

*Canned diced tomatoes.
You can used diced tomatoes in a LOT of things: chili and other soups, stuffed peppers, Mexican dishes, etc.

*Tomato sauce/spaghetti sauce.
Again, tomato and spaghetti sauce come in handy for a slew of dishes. Now, to just learn how to can! (Sorry. Can't help you there. I make John do it. Lol)

*Sell them at a local farmer's market.
Whether you sell them at a physical market or an online group (not sure if that's a thing or not, but we have a local farmer's market group on Facebook that is not actually associated with the physical market), there is someone out there who will be more than happy to take some maters off your hands!

*Share with friends and family.
Even if you don't like them, chances are someone else in your family does and they may not be able or willing to plant a garden. From what I've been told, nothing beats a homegrown tomato over a store bought one!

What about you? What's the main reason you grow tomatoes?

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/clever-chicks-blog-hop-237/
This Is How We Roll Thursday Party
ethannevelyn.com

6 comments:

  1. I wish I had the patience!! Oh and I seem to kill everything I grow! But I am sure my little boy would love it, so I might find the time to do this #fabfridaypost

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you could try to grow one together and have your little boy help take care of it!

      Delete
  2. Oh this has inspired me to grow some tomatoes again, they are so much nicer home grown #fabfridaypost

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so cool! My kids doesn't like them, but we still grow them anyway. Sadly they only lasted for only one seasons, it never grown back after that! lol!

    Thank you very much for linking up with us on #FabFridayPost

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I wish my kids liked anything other than bread products!

      Delete
  4. I absolutely love growing tomatoes, best thing to grow aren't they! I agree, so easy too. #FabFridayPost

    ReplyDelete