Thursday, December 1, 2016

Family Volunteer Day


             Hey folks! I have a love/hate relationship with Facebook, like I'm sure many of you do as well, but you know what one thing I do like about it is? The events! It seems a bit “stalker-y” on Facebook's part to me, but I like when I get notifications that “So and so is interested in such and such event” or when I happen to get suggestions for local events pop up on the right hand side. Why? Because I wouldn't have known about them otherwise! Plus, it's handy for people like me who still aren't very familiar with an area, but want to get out and do things. Anyways...
             I recently came across a volunteer event for families. Even though I am kind of a grinch, I do enjoy volunteering, though haven't done much for a long time. But, that's a different story for a different post. ;) Anyhow, not only did I find out about Family Volunteer Day at the community center in the next biggest town over, but I also discovered that there is a volunteer network in Bloomington as well!
             I loved the idea of getting Myka involved in this and the projects sounded fun to me as well. There were different stations and yes, there were things even younger kids like Myka could do, which I thought was nice. The stations included making feral cat houses, bagging apples for a food pantry, decorating place mats for Meals on Wheels, making lap blankets for retirement home residents, and putting together care kits for a women and children halfway house. (Not sure that's the right term. It's for those trying to get away from violent households.)
             Unfortunately, we didn't get to stay as long as I would have liked because my husband decided to tag along at the last minute and there were a lot more people there than I expected. (Have I mention he has severe crowd anxiety?) Plus, we got there a bit late because we forgot the kids' bag and had to turn around (I know. You would think that would be something I would remember without a second thought by now!) and a couple of the stations had already ran out of materials to make their items! Not that that's a bad thing, though, right? Anyhow, here are a few pictures I was able to snap of our experience. :)

I was especially impressed and surprised that she didn't want to take anything home with us, let alone even mention it!



All of the cat boxes were finished, but Myka got to help finish one and decorate it.

             Do you ever volunteer with your kids? I actually hosted a “play date” of sorts with my moms group earlier this week making Christmas cards for local nursing home residents, so stay tuned for a post on that soon too!
This Is How We Roll Thursday Party
ethannevelyn
Thinking Outside The Pot

1 comment:

  1. What an absolutley lovely thing to do. There isn't enough of this around, in my opinion. It benefits everyone - the participants and the recipients, and is a great thing to teach our kids too. Really well done. #FabFridayPosts

    ReplyDelete