Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Things Moms Don't Warn You About With Your First Pregnancy


            Hey folks! Practically everyone knows that pregnancy usually comes with some interesting, but common, symptoms, such as stretch marks, food aversions (or cravings), weight gain, etc. But, did you know there are lots of other things that can happen to you during pregnancy (some common, some not so common) that many women don't hear about from other moms until after the fact? Below are just some of the side effects of pregnancy that I and my readers found out about the hard way!

*Your feet can grow. In fact, I used to wear an 8 1/2 in women's shoes and now wear a 9 1/2-10!
*Your nose can become stuffy...a lot. My nose was mildly stuffy the entire time I was pregnant with my daughter. I've been having sinus problems lately and I'm hoping it's not starting all over again!
*You start feeling like a human furnace. With all of your raging hormones, you may find yourself asking often, "Is it hot in here or is it just me?"
*You can also turn into a bloodhound. This also happened to me when I was pregnant with Myka. Unfortunately, it never went away and is more of a curse than a blessing!
*Body parts will get bigger, even ones you might not suspect like your butt!
*You can actually be allergic to your growing baby! Quoted from reader:
"PUPPPs. Short version is that your body is allergic to the baby, large percentage of time a male, but not always. I broke out in an inconsolable itchy rash from my belly button down. Dig until you bleed and it still itches. Nothing cures it but giving birth. Good times. This was my 5th baby that I discovered this fabulous disease exist." Wow! Most of the time it occurs in first time mothers, but as our reader stated, that's not always the case.
*Some women actually go temporarily blind while pregnant due to hypertension, inflammation in the eyes, etc. Who knew? Luckily, it seems to be more common for your vision to just change slightly during pregnancy, then go back to normal afterwards. So hold off on getting new glasses or contacts!
*Many women report issues with constipation while pregnant.

*That swelling in your extremities? It doesn't always go away as soon as the baby is born. My feet didn't stop swelling for a good week after Myka was born.
*Hemorrhoids: Very real and very uncomfortable. One reader stated she got to the point where she didn't even want to eat! Ouch!
*Baby bellies are not always perfectly round like you might imagine. Some babies just really like hanging out on a certain side!
*"Hiccups in the crotch", one reader responded with. I think I have an idea of what she is referring to as well. Especially near the end of my first pregnancy, I would get random "twinges" in my crotch. It's an interesting experience, to say the least.
*Legs randomly falling asleep.
*It becomes damn near impossible to shave "down there". Your legs aren't much easier.
*Some women experience cramping in their abdomen during the first trimester...and it is totally normal most of the time as your uterus expands.

            What pregnancy symptoms did you experience? Did you have any uncommon ones not listed above? I'd love to hear from you in the comments section below!

No comments:

Post a Comment