Thursday, May 30, 2013

Aunt Flo Regulating Tea

            Excuse my language, but Mother Nature is being a bitch once again. I guess it’s tea time. Let me explain…
            For whatever reason, my menstrual cycle (I call it Aunt Flo) started becoming irregular about 4 ½ years ago, which coincidentally was around the time my husband and I got together. I had been on birth control for a year or two before this happening, but had regular periods for several months after stopping. So your guess is as good as mine. Anyhow, it wasn’t really a problem at first because we had wanted to try to have kids right away, especially since my husband, John, is 5 ½ years older than I am. You know what they say: we’re not getting any younger. Suffice it to say, we weren’t exactly trying, but we weren’t exactly doing anything to prevent getting pregnant either.
            Fast forward to today and I thank my lucky stars that the powers that be kept us from having Myka until now because in the 4 ½ short years John and I have been together we have went from having no jobs and living off unemployment for at least a year, almost becoming homeless once, to owning our own home and my husband working for the government! I can’t even imagine what it would have been like had we had Myka sooner. Not good, I can tell you that much. Back to my point, though.
            Although I am thankful, in hindsight, we didn’t have her sooner, it did take us over 3 years to have her with no medical intervention. About half a year or more before Myka was conceived, I was having so many problems with irregular cycles that my dear husband started making an herbal tea for me to help regulate Aunt Flo. I have a terrible time taking pills and we both avoid taking them in general if at all possible, so I was more than willing to try this whole tea idea out.
            As far as I know, there is no actual name for this tea, so for all intents and purposes let’s just call it Aunt Flo regulating tea. It contains dong quai, damiana, and muira puama. It’s super easy to make (as most herbal teas are) and I’ll tell you how below!
            Many of you have probably heard of dong quai. It has many benefits, but as far as the tea goes it can help alleviate menstrual cramps and help with PMS symptoms. To be honest, I had never heard of the other two herbs used in this tea, including damiana, which is known for increasing sexual libido. Muira puama can also be used to increase libido and also helps with menstrual disorders. As a whole, this herbal tea can be used to increase sexual libido, help regulate menstrual cycles, AND help regulate blood sugar. Without getting TOO personal, it’s a one stop shop in my case.
            If you have issues with your not so monthly visitor not arriving on time like I do and prefer using more natural methods for every day ailments, I highly suggest giving this herbal tea a try. I’m getting ready to start drinking it again myself. As much as I enjoy Aunt Flo not visiting so often, I know it’s not healthy. I had several regular cycles right after I had Myka and now they are messed up again. Ugh. *shakes fist at Mother Nature *

DISCLAIMER: Remember that this helps your period get started, so if you think you might be pregnant, PLEASE don’t use this. Always consult with your doctor first before trying alternative methods like this as well. Always read up on possible side effects of medicine and alternative methods. I am in no way responsible for any harm that may come to you from use of this tea. Everyone is different. What works for me may not work for you.

To make Aunt Flo Regulating Tea:

-Fill a microwave safe tea or coffee cup with water nearly to the top. Make sure to leave a little room for your strainer.
-Heat your cup of water up for about a minute or until boiling.
-Place your mini strainer on top of the cup and add the following into it:
            -a medium pinch of muira puama 
-a tablespoon of damiana (this can be a heaping tablespoon if your hormones are really out of whack)
-a small pinch of dong quai powder
-I usually let mine steep for about 5 minutes. Be sure to shake the herbs around a bit so that the water covers them. You can also add a little water over the top of them if you need too. Once it’s done steeping just toss your used herbs in the trash.
-I’m not a big tea drinker. In fact, other that this, I never drink tea. Not even the regular caffeinated kind everyone in the south here seems to love so much. So, if you add a couple spoonfuls of sugar to help the medicine go down, I won’t tell if you don’t. ;) If you do this, I suggest adding it on TOP of the herbs while they’re still in the strainer. It helps the herbs sink so that they’re completely sitting in the water.
-Again, I’m not a doctor, but I recommend drinking a cup of this every day until your menstrual cycle starts and after until your cycles become regular. Why don’t I drink it while I’m on my period? For me personally, I have found that my flow seems heavier if I drink this while Aunt Flo is visiting.



            In case you’re wondering, yes, this tea does work and it has helped regulate my cycles in the past. Otherwise I wouldn't even bother telling you about it. ;)

Sources

Herb Suppliers




(I had a really hard time finding this one online. I think we got ours from a local store when we bought it.)

4 comments:

  1. Well, this has never really been an issue for me at all but if any friends have this problem, I will send them your way! Paige from thenursemommy.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of this tea.
    Thankfully, my period is very regular. But I'll keep this in mind for my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have only had a handful of periods in the past 4 years, due to breastfeeding and pregnancies, but I know quite a few of my friends who have trouble regulating their cycles. I will be passing a link on to them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! This can be a very irritating issue when you're trying to get pregnant!

      Delete