Thursday, January 4, 2018

Pregnancy Journal #9: This Kid Has Big Feet!

             Hey folks! I really felt like titling this post “Bitch, bitch, bitch”, but I figured that would be inappropriate for a “family-friendly” blog. ;) Seriously, though, this week has been the kind that you can't wait for it to be over. It could always be worse, of course, which I remind myself of frequently, but settle in for the ramble...

             The day of my most recent appointment did not start off well. My mother in-law, who was supposed to watch the kids, texted me around 10:30 asking if I “would want to drop the kids off at the fishing dock...Then when you're done, you can pick them up there. Too nice a day to spend inside. :)” You see, my mother in-law is obsessed with fishing. She had texted me the day before too asking when my appointment was because “they might go fishing. Not many nice days left.” Ok. I figured she just meant in the morning if they did go since my appointment wasn't until 1:45.
             Needless to say, I was more than a little irritated. For starters, it was not THAT warm out. Certainly not enough for a 5 and almost 2 year old to be outside for an extended period of time, especially being windy on the lake. She did mention bringing gloves and hats and whatnot, but just no. No, I do not feel like packing even more stuff. Second, and more importantly, no, I do not want to drive 30+ ****ing minutes altogether out of my way to drop the kids off when it already takes me at least an hour, usually more, to drive to the doctor...One way.
             It probably goes without saying that I took the girls with me, even though she said “we will be out there if you change your mind.” It's all fine and dandy if they don't want to/can't keep the girls sometimes, but to spring that shit on me less than 2 hours before I was planning to drop them off?! I don't think I'm over-reacting here, but that's just rude. On that note, I also posted in the moms group for our county on Facebook looking for an occasional babysitter...
             Then there was the actual appointment. It wasn't terrible, but some things have me a bit worried now. Which sucks because I've been doing really well about now worrying so much this time. Baby is looking good, but the technician claims that he/she is 3lbs 12oz. (72nd percentile) at 30 weeks...Sorry, but I don't believe that for a second. Baby Ninja was measuring a week and a half behind at my anatomy scan around 21 weeks. Now all of a sudden they have ballooned up that much? I never believe ultrasound guesstimates anyways. Have you ever heard anyone gush over their accuracy? Didn't think so. Plus, they were using a new machine. Like, there was some extra lady in there helping the regular technician learn how to use it. Don't even ask me how I feel about being a guinea pig for some things...
             My worries about the position of the baby were confirmed at last...Kind of. I was wondering if baby was still lying transverse (sideways), but, as it turns out, he/she somehow managed to flip around, facing the opposite way, and has his head under my ribs and butt down next to my cervix. -_- So he's breech. 

 Am I the only one who thinks ultrasound pictures are kind of creepy? Don't even get me started on those 3 and 4D ones! Stuff of nightmares, I tell ya...

             I keep reading and having people tell me that you don't have to worry too much about this position until you get closer to 36 weeks, but my kids are stubborn. All of them. I can't help but worry. Between this and supposedly measuring on the larger side, I am super worried they are either going to try and induce me or have me schedule a c-section. I'm not sure which would be worse, really. I've done it all: induction, which was horrible and lead to a c-section, and a natural, drug-free VBAC. The latter was a much more pleasant experience and way easier recovery!
             Not surprisingly, they found that my iron was low too. I've had to take iron supplements with every pregnancy, so I can't say it came as a surprise. Plus, I don't eat a whole lot of meat, especially this time. I can stomach it now, but not much. I'm not a big meat eater when I'm not pregnant. It's not, like, a vegetarian thing. (Hello! We live on a farm with chickens and pigs! Lol) It just sort of grosses me out. I'm very picky about it. Anyways...
             It wasn't my favorite nurse to begin with that gave me this news, but I thought she was a little on the dramatic side. Evidently my iron level was 8.9 and around 12 is normal. She kept going on and on about how she couldn't believe I could even function and wasn't tired all the time. (Honestly, I've not been any more tired than usual. My sleep deprivation is catching up to me, but that's about it.) She also warned that if it got low enough I would have to have blood transfusions?! The doctor didn't say anything about that, so I'm taking it with a grain of salt. It wasn't like she said it in a helpful way, either. It was more like fear mongering. (Probably because I don't take my prenatal vitamin any more. *gasp *) I'll be a good little girl and start taking my iron again, though...Juuuussst as soon as I find it! Lol
             They just started measuring my belly at the last appointment or two. He said I'm measuring way ahead again, but I was thinking, “Who cares?!” because the ultrasound showed that the baby wasn't a monster and my fluid levels were normal. Like my last pregnancy, I still claim it's because I'm short and bloated all the time. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
             So yah...It was a somewhat eventful doctor's visit. I'm not looking forward to the extra ultrasounds again since they still claim I have gestational diabetes. I'm trying to at least not bitch about them as much since there's nothing I can do about it. (Although I am tempted to try and decline one to see what they do because I am cheeky like that. I mean, shit. It's my body, right?)
             I will definitely be trying to get more motivated to do more yoga and exercises to turn this little breech jerk too. Hopefully it doesn't come down to having to do the ones on Spinning Babies because, while everyone swears by them that I have heard from, they are crazy! I have read that some breech babies can even turn at the “last second” during labor, but I will definitely be arming myself on more information on that! I already feel like I need all the help I can get to avoid another c-section, especially, like I said, they try to play the “big baby card” on top of the poor position.

Sorry this ended up being so long! I just really needed to vent. If you've stuck around this far, thank you. Have you ever had issues that doctors tried to use to get you to have a c-section?

 
This Is How We Roll Thursday Party
ethannevelyn.com

4 comments:

  1. Oh poor you! No, I haven't been threaten by doctors & nurses to use a c section on me, but they have told me that I will be dripped during me labouring hour as I have a very low iron count. I then decided to do a home birth with experience hospital home birth team. My home birth with my second was amazing. It just couldn't be easier and the support I get from the HB team was so amazing.

    I do have friends who have a breech baby and they ended up having a c-section. So go with your guts and some good doctor you trust I say. I can't believe it you are nearly there! Can't wait! xx

    Thank you very much for linking up with us on #FabFridayPost

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh! Now there's something else to worry about. lol I'm hoping my iron isn't low enough to warrant needing an IV. I'm all about as little interventions and extra things sticking out of me as possible during labor. lol

      I can't believe I'm almost done either! This one has gone by crazy fast!

      Delete
  2. We all need to have a rant once in a while. I really hope your baby turns round real quick and that the birth is straight forward. Not long to go. :)
    Thanks for linking up with us #FabFridayPost

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, me too! Trying not to worry about it too much. ;)

      Delete