Thursday, June 23, 2016

Homeschool Preschool Update: Birds & Bugs, Oh My!

             Hey folks! It's been a long time since I've done a school update for two reasons. 1) I was really slacking there for awhile, but hey. This was kind of my trial year for the real deal coming sooner than I will know it. 2) Other than the alphabet learning stuff I print from various homeschooling blogs I follow and some other workbook-type things I have at home, I mostly use the “A Child's World” curriculum. (You can learn more and order this curriculum for yourself HERE.) Obviously, I didn't want to give everything away about it before so people would purchase it for themselves and help a fellow blogger out, but now that I'm a program ambassador I can! (Well, not everything. ;) )
             I finally got smart and have been letting Myka choose from two or three of the themes which one is most interesting to her when we are getting ready to start a new one. She's really into birds lately, so I wasn't surprised that she chose that one the time before this. Here are some highlights (read: Activities I actually got pictures of!) from the bird theme below.


Myka loves “beading” so the Cheerio “caterpillar” bird treats were a big hit. The birds didn't seem to notice them or enjoy them all that much. Perhaps they don't like Honey Nut Cheerios, which is all we had. Lol


We also practiced numbers 1-5 with this bird egg and “nest” activity. We kind of ran with this one. First, I asked her to put the corresponding egg in the correct numbered nest. Then we practiced some more by putting the correct amount of beads in each egg...Then we put the correct number of beads directly into the “nests”. And so on and so forth. Ha ha She was really into and I try to expand upon things when she's extra interested, especially because her attention span still isn't great, to say the least. I really think the math activities in the curriculum have helped her get a lot better with numbers lately because they make it fun to learn them, plus that's one of the main things she's been interested in learning-wise lately: counting.


We've taken a few nature walks lately, but not nearly enough. We actually got to play in the creek for a decent amount of time this day because it wasn't as buggy! Daddy found some really cool geode rocks, one of which he cracked open, that I forgot to include in today's pictures. We saw our fair share of bugs, too, including lots of damselflies (which are similar to dragonflies), which was good because we started the...


Bug theme next! A lot of people in the old Facebook group for this theme did bugs back in the fall, but I decided to wait until the spring/summer when the “nice bugs” were out. Lol Plus I wanted the weather to be nice so we could release our butterflies after studying them. This was just a swallowtail we found on the way back from playing in the creek. I can't believe it let me get that close! I wasn't zoomed in or anything!


Speaking of butterflies, we got our caterpillars last week and I think I was just as excited about them as Myka was! Lol They take about 5-10 days to make their chysallides and we've had them for 6, so we're eagerly awaiting that. (Btw, it's hard to get a 3 year old to understand that we can't pick the cup up and move it around a bunch so the caterpillars will do their thing and turn into butterflies. You've been warned. Lol)


We did a little flyswatter painting one day, which was entertaining. Two words of advice: 1) Making smacking noises while swatting the flyswatters makes it more fun, evidently. 2) Do yourself a favor and get a 3 pack of flyswatters at the Dollar Store for a buck!

             I was kind of surprised to find our library had a plethora of books on bugs. (Plus it's summer reading program time. Bonus!) I've been trying to get better about reading more in general to the kids. When all else fails, I'll read to Ripley and that usually gets the Jelly Monster interested. Ha ha Whatever works, right? But yah. I also found some fun bug related books that we already have at home, including The Very Hungry Caterpillar. They're actually reading that at our storytime tomorrow too, so hopefully she'll remember and maybe pay better attention too!
             Other than that, we've worked on letter “Q” a little bit more with dot marker pages, colored a caterpillar and ladybug coloring page, and did some scissor practice sheets as well...And we're only about halfway done with all of the bug-related stuff we have! I have more insect learning activities and workbook-type sheets than I can shake a stick bug at! Needless to say, we probably won't do all of them, and that's ok. There will always be more things we can expand upon next year!

             What have your homeschoolers been up to lately? Are you taking a summer break?

You can find this post on Tot School Gathering Place and
This Is How We Roll Thursday Party
ethannevelyn
Thinking Outside The Pot

4 comments:

  1. This brings back such sweet memories of when my mom homeschooled me! I'm 17 and am doing school online now, but I remember the days of science in the backyard and counting with ritz crackers. Hope you have a great weekend :)

    Blessings,
    Edye | Http://gracefulcoffee.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I can only hope my daughters look back with fondness on their homeschooling days when they're older. :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, it sounds like you are learning some really cool stuff! I love the name Myka too. Lovely pictures. Sarah #FabFridayPost

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of flyswatter painting before. This looks like a lot of fun. We'll definitely have to try that one. :) Thank you for linking up with us on #FabFridayPost

    ReplyDelete