*This post may contain affiliate links.*
I love cloth diapers, but I'm not much into accessories. I tend to fall into Baloo's “bear necessities” camp. So, it might come as a surprise what the one cloth diapering accessory I can't live without is: the diaper sprayer.
We lived with my parents for a few months when we first moved back to Indiana. Needless to say, we didn't bring our diaper sprayer and it kinda sucked not having it. It's obviously not an absolute necessity, but it is VERY handy and I'll tell you why.
- Speaking from personal experience, it is easier and less messy using a diaper sprayer than using the “dunk and swish” method in the toilet. It also gets your diapers cleaner!
- Since your diapers get cleaner with the sprayer, you may not need to further rinse them in the sink or wherever else you may rinse them. (I still do because I'm anal like that.)
- Since you are spraying all the gross stuff off in the toilet, you won't be washing your diapers in soiled water in the machine. Yah, ew. Gross to think about, isn't it? Even more so when you think about washing all of your other clothes and whatnot in there. Blegh!
- Also, speaking of the washing machine, in theory, you shouldn't have to use as much detergent or perhaps as many rinse cycles to get your diapers clean since most of the gunk is gone. Hooray for saving money!
- Last, but not least, your diapers won't get stinky nearly as quickly! We don't even have a diaper pail. I just toss ours to dry some around the rim of a small laundry basket then put them inside when I need to dry new ones. I've not noticed any smells. Actually, I think Myka's potty in the same bathroom I keep the basket of diapers in smells worse. (I clean it, I swear!)
What is your favorite cloth diapering accessory? Do you have a sprayer, or can you live without it?