Thursday, January 8, 2015

S.A.D. Update


            Hey folks! Some of you may have read my post on Seasonal Affective Disorder a little over a month ago, so I thought I would do a little update! Here is the original post, if you would like to read it, but in a nutshell I went over what S.A.D. is, ways to combat the symptoms naturally, and what I planned on trying out to deal with my own symptoms.
            First of all, I have to admit that I feel a little silly taking a D3 supplement just because most laboratory created vitamins and supplements are not very bio-available, aka the body is unable to absorb as much of them as naturally occurring D3 in foods, for instance. (At least that's what I got from the way my husband, who has degrees in chemistry and biology, explained it to me.) But, I figured it's worth a shot and has to be doing some good, right?
            I started out taking a gummy D3 vitamin from vitafusion because, well, I'm a puss when it comes to swallowing pills of any sort. Unless it's the size of a small BB, it ain't happenin'. I liked them because they were easy to take and helped make me, erm, "regular", but I don't really care for how sugary they are. (The prenatal ones are even worse in that department!) When I started running low on them, I started looking around for a different kind and happened across the ones pictures above at the dollar store here in town, of all places.
            I don't know about you, but I actually loved the chewable Flintstones vitamins when I was a kid, so the kid in me was excited to see there was a chewable D3 vitamin AND it tastes like strawberry banana! And, surprisingly, it really does taste like that and is pretty yummy. I just eat one in the morning with breakfast and another one some time later in the day when I eat. Easy peasy. And I'm the queen of forgetting to take pills.
            I've also enjoyed taking my FES Saint John's Wort for several reasons too. First of all, I feel like it's more "pure" than the D3 vitamins. Also, since it is liquid and meant to be put in water and drank, it gets me to make sure I drink more water throughout the day, which is especially helpful on the days my husband is home because I seem to slack for some reason those days. Saint John's Wort is also supposed to aid with sleeping issues too...though most of my sleep issues are "toddler not wanting to sleep in her own bed" these days. Finally, I get my FES Saint John's Wort from a place called New Age People, which is one of my favorite stores ever, so it gives me a good excuse to go there occasionally. :) (Yah, I'm one of THOSE people.)
            As usual, I hadn't intended for this post to be this long. I apologize, as they kind of write themselves a lot of times. So, time for the bottom line: Do these things seem to be helping with my seasonal affective disorder symptoms? Yes. Everyone still has "off days", but in general they both seem to be helping me not feel so grouchy, lethargic, apathetic, etc. etc. If nothing else, it helps me to at least get motivated enough to get laundry or dishes done...most days. ;)

Disclaimer: I was not compensated to endorse any products mentioned in this post. Further more, I am not affiliated with the companies that manufacture them in any way. All opinions are my own and may differ from your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment