Monday, January 29, 2018

Library Picks of the Week #1


            Hey folks! I love going to the library. In fact, it's our one social outing that I try to make sure we go to each week. While, to be honest, the kids could care less about the books, they do enjoy the alternating music/movement class and storytime that are held every Thursday. And I enjoy picking out books because I'm a weirdo, I guess. ;) So, I thought it would be fun to do a little post on our favorite library books from this week.

Z is for Moose

I've been making it a point for the past month or so to pick out a fun or interesting alphabet-related book. Myka is not one to sit and copy/trace letters in a workbook, so when it comes to learning the alphabet, it has to be something fun (a game) or that she is interested in. (i.e. Minecraft) I noticed that she also seems to respond well to alphabet stories, so I'm going with it!

It might just be the book nerd in me talking, but Z is for Moose is funny. Like, laugh out loud funny...To me. My husband was in the room when I re-read this the other night and even he laughed at at least one part! In fact, I feel like we enjoyed the book more than Myka did. (She liked it too and requested it at least once. I think she's just too tired to laugh by the time we get around to reading bedtime stories. Lol)


Moose is a little over-eager for his turn to appear in the story. He starts butting in on each page, wondering if his turn is next. But, you won't believe what happens when the story does finally get to letter “M”...


At first, Moose starts throwing a fit. Then Zebra keeps preventing him from ruining each page, which makes Moose even more upset, and he turns sad. Zebra makes everything better at the end, though. :)

I highly recommend this book because it's funny, especially for preschoolers/kindergarteners who already know some/all their letters and can understand why the book is funny.


Polar Animals

This is kind of like an EZ Reader, which I have also been getting for Myka more lately in hopes that she'll start picking up on words, reinforcing letters, etc. etc. Plus, I like nice short books because Myka's attention span still isn't great when it comes to reading books. We also happen to be doing Arctic stuff for school right now, so that was a big reason I chose this book as well.

To be honest, I've only looked at this book with Myka maybe once or twice without even reading all the text (we've been really bad about reading books lately :/), but Ripley was absolutely obsessed with it for days! Like, it was the only book she wanted to look at and made me “read it” with her. She had fun looking at the animals and naming different parts of them (eyes, ears, etc.).


What have you and your kids read lately?
This Is How We Roll Thursday Party
ethannevelyn.com

5 comments:

  1. That moose book looks hilarious! Our girl is only three months old so she's a bit young for it, but my sister is obsessed with moose. It sounds silly, but I think Z Is for Moose would make a great birthday present for her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you should totally get it for her then! I'm pretty sure my husband and I enjoyed it more than our 5 year old. lol Usually he's just kind of "meh" about kids books, but even he thought it was funny!

      Delete
  2. These are two of our favorite books! We actually own Polar Animals and we read Z is for Moose so many times I practically had it memorized. #FabFridayPost

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! We have that Polar bear book. Ethan is borrowing it from school. Z is for Moose sound like a fun book to read.

    Thank you very much for linking up with us on #FabFridayPost

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny! They both seem to be pretty popular. ;)

      Delete