Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Wrapy Baby Wrap Review

             Hey folks! As most of you know by now, I just had baby girl #2 last month. Since I was planning on trying out the whole babywearing thing with this one anyways, I was excited to try out the Wrapy baby wrap when offered. Plus, I hear wraps are good to use with young babies as far as carriers go and my husband talked me into trying a wrap out instead of a soft structured carrier again, so why not give the Wrapy a go?!
             According to their website, “We created Wrapy with a simple goal: Make the holder feel free and make the baby feel comfortable.” The Wrapy is made of a 95% cotton/5% spandex blend fabric, so it provides enough stretch to get the fit you need while still being comfortable. It is one size fits all (though I think it should be “one size fits MOST. More on that on down.), machine washable and dryer safe, and comes with a 100% lifetime guarantee. Wrapy is suitable for for babies and toddlers from birth to 35 pounds. 


             First of all, since we didn't do the whole babywearing thing with Myka, this was my first time using a wrap...And everything I read about there being a “learning curve” as far as getting used to wrapping it correctly is true. That was my main concern about trying a wrap out: It looked confusing as heck! However, while it does take a little practice, it didn't take me nearly as long to get the hang of it as I expected. And I am an extremely impatient person, so that should tell you something. 


             I also have to admit that I had a little trouble with the Wrapy at first because it barely fits me, to be totally honest. However, I'm built like “a little teapot: short and stout.” While I realize this is my own fault, I feel like the labeling should read “one size fits MOST” instead of “ALL”, especially because I know many moms who use wraps because they are more likely to fit “plus sizes” better than most soft structured carriers. With all of that being said, though, my husband got it to work for him and he's on the broader side, so he helped me get it. We actually ended up wrapping it according to my Boba wrap instructions since it is similar instead of folding it in half width-wise first like the Wrapy directions instruct. It was just too awkward that way and didn't really work for either of us, so we left it as is without folding anything.

Breastfeeding hold-Nice and discreet!

             While there is only one way to wrap the Wrapy, there are five different carrying positions demonstrated in the instruction manual: the newborn hold, toddler hold, cradle hold, lotus hold, and the breastfeeding hold. (Some are similar. I would also like to mention that I would look more into the lotus hold as I have always read that you shouldn't face your child out while babywearing.) Since Ripley is only a month old, we have only tried the newborn and breastfeeding hold. I've only tried the breastfeeding hold twice and it didn't really end well either time, but it could be just because we are still working on the whole nursing thing. I feel like this carrying position would take a lot more practice getting your child situated just right than the others. But, I can see how it would come in very handy if you're already babywearing in public, need to nurse, and don't want to take the whole wrap off to do so. (And assuming you prefer to cover up while nursing in public. ;) )


             We did enjoy trying the Wrapy out in a variety of other settings. It's definitely handy if you have older children to take care of. It has helped me be able to make something to eat for Myka, go for a walk, and enjoy trips out to places, such as the store and local nature center without having to lug along a heavy carseat, just to name a few things. It's been nice having free hands to get things done while keeping baby close so I don't feel like I am neglecting her! I am looking forward to using it even more when it gets nicer out and we go on more playdates again and start working out in the yard as well. Those are actually two of the main reasons I wanted to try babywearing!


             So far I am happy with the Wrappy and I like that my husband can use it as well. (He claims he will use it, but we'll see. ;) ) Another thing I like about it is that it is very affordable at $40 on Amazon, making it more feasible for those of us out there who want to try babywearing out, but don't want to spend a fortune on carriers like a lot of the soft structured ones. (I'd also like to note that the Wrapy is currently on sale for even less on Amazon at $29.97!) Be sure to stay up-to-date with info, reviews, and more on their Facebook page and blog.

P.s. If you have any questions if I've left anything out or you would like to know more, please ask! I have foggy, sleep deprived mommy brain and feel as if I'm forgetting a lot of things I wanted to include in my review!

No comments:

Post a Comment