Thursday, October 5, 2017

Born in the Wrong Time and Place

            I think I've finally figured out why I have such a hard time making friends. (Well, at least part of the reason.) I have always joked that I was born in the wrong decade. But, after some things came to my attention recently, I'm pretty sure I was born in the wrong country too.
            First of all, I do not identify with other millenials, like, at all. In fact, I hate even being classified as such. I feel like the vast majority of others my age and younger are self-entitled narcissists. There. I said it. But that's probably a whole other topic for a whole other blog post. Plus, I don't really feel like arguing.
            I think my first inkling of being “a little different” was when I started listening to certain music in middle school that my friends had never even heard of. For example, I started getting really into Pearl Jam around 8th grade...Around 2000...You know, well after grunge music had its heyday. I remember picking up one of their CD's on a field trip to Chicago and my best friend at the time had no clue who they were.
            Growing up as a single child (I phrase it that way because I have a half brother I did not grow up with, but know now), I was always more mature than most people my age. Everyone told me so, anyways, especially adults. I always figured that was part of the reason it was harder to make friends as I got older. I'm not so sure any more.
            Anyways, because of this, I have always gotten along with adults, even as a kid. As I got older, especially after I graduated high school and made my way out in the big wide world, I found myself making friends with people older than me. Sometimes much older, like my mom's age. (Not that that's OLD, but you know what I mean.) I still feel like I can relate and identify with older adults more than people my age.

Not that I think quite so highly of myself, but this quote comes to mind sometimes...
Source

            I'm pretty sure I was born in the wrong country too. I'm jealous of the things I read about the health care system in countries like Germany and the U.K. Giving birth doesn't seem to be looked at as some medical emergency in England and home births and midwives are more popular over there, which is something I can totally get on board with!
            Also on the health care system train of thought, I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't just automatically believe everything a doctor tells me. Sorry, but no, I don't believe they always have my best interest in mind. Most of the time, I feel like they're just trying to get more money out of me. (Especially the OBGYN. OMG!)
            I feel like I'm too frugal for my own good too sometimes. Take clothes, for instance. I recently asked my friends and family on Facebook what the big deal was about Lularoe because I was wanting to get some leggings for maternity wear this time around. I about crapped when someone told me how much one pair was. It's rare that I buy jeans for that much! I don't care how amazing or comfortable they are. For $25 a pop (again, FOR LEGGINGS), they better be self-cleaning or something.
            My husband and I were recently talking about how in Germany there are still lots of little markets (think like a farmers market, except everyday, all day!) where you can purchase your bread, meat, cheese, produce, etc. How great would that be?! Yes, it is somewhat turning that way here, but I would love if our country reverted back to local markets and growing more of our own goods rather than shopping at big box stores.


            I feel like there are a ton of other things I'm forgetting, but I don't want to bore you to death either. Do you ever feel like you're “too weird” to fit in wherever you are?

This Is How We Roll Thursday Party
ethannevelyn.com

3 comments:

  1. I feel you on so much of this. I think I would have liked to live in a time when things were simpler and I was able to just be home with my baby, get to know my neighbors, and take things a little more slowly.
    Also, being a mother in the US makes it easy to envy the parental rights given in other countries. Our leave here is minimal, unpaid, and not seen as nearly as important as it is.
    Maybe we were meant to be neighbors in 1957. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it does! If I remember correctly, Switzerland's maternity AND PATERNITY leave are insane! I haven't gone back to work right at 6 weeks with any of my kids, luckily, but I can't imagine having to leave my tiny little new baby with anyone that soon. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come and live in England!! Though I am absolutely sure everywhere has its pros and cons. You could also invest in a time machine!! Thanks for linking up with us #FabFridayPost

    ReplyDelete