Saturday, March 25, 2017

Monthly Crafting Book Club: How Do Dinosaurs...? Series


            Welcome back for the March Monthly Crafting Book Club! This month's selection is for the fun “How Do Dinosaurs...” series. I was pretty excited about this as the one thing Myka has been consistently interested in since she was 2 is dinosaurs and I've been meaning to check these books out!
            I knew my friend had recently nabbed a lot of cheap dinosaur-related books for her older soon who has become interested in them as well, so we borrowed two: How Do Dinosars Say Goodnight? and How Do Dinosaurs Learn Their Colors?I thought these would be good choices for us because Myka usually makes a chore of bedtime and, while she's pretty good with her colors, she still has a hard time remembering some of their names. Here are some snippets from each so you get a feel for them.

“How does a dinosaur say good night when Papa comes in to turn off the light? Does a dinosaur slam his tail and pout? Does he throw his teddy bear all about?”

“Dinosaur colors start with red: A red fire truck tucked under the bed, a purple towel left on the floor, a green sign taped to the bedroom door...”

            Fun, right? The illustrations are amusing too. Myka laughs every time we get to the page in the bedtime book where the t-rex is puckering up for a kiss. We also like that the names of the dinosaurs are “hidden” on each page so we can learn more about dinos too! I highly recommend both of these books for the dinosaur lover in your life! I'm sure the others in the series are fun as well.
On to the craft! I had an idea for combining different aspects from each book into this month's activity. It's not so much a craft as an activity, but I hope you like it nonetheless!

Bedtime Dinos Color Matching Activity


Ages 3+

What You'll Need:


-marker
-a rainbow of felt plus white (as pictured)
-scissors (fabric scissors come in really handy for the felt, if you have some)
-a rainbow of dinos (as pictured)

(In case you're wondering why there is tape in the picture but not listed on the materials list, I was going to put this on the wall if we happened to do it while the little monster was awake. Lol)

*On each color of felt, draw a book, lips, and X. These are the “items” I decided to incorporate from How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight? The book for an extra bedtime story, the lips for a goodnight kiss, and an X to symbolize a hug.

*Cut your felt pieces and printed dinosaurs out. You can make the dinosaurs out of felt too, of course, if you like.

*Next, line your white felt up with a colored piece. Lay your dino out to look like he is laying on a bed. Mark your lines and cut out your “beds and pillows”.

*Once you have everything cut out, it's time to tuck your dinos into bed! This in and of itself was amusing to my 4 year old. :)

*Once they are tucked in, ask your child to put the matching color of books, kisses, and hugs on the correct bed.

And it conveniently fits into a sandwich baggie for easy clean up or taking it with you somewhere to keep the kids entertained. 


            I hope you and your kids find this to be a fun way to work on colors. I am a fan of starting your kids out early on using scissors too, so if you think they can be safe with them, definitely encourage your child to try cutting some of the pieces out, such as the beds and pillows. You could probably do this activity with 2 year olds as well, they just won't be able to help you as much in making it. Oh. And one more thing. Even with all of the cutting, this really doesn't take that long to set up.


            Don't forget to stop by all of the other bloggers who participated this month for even more craft/activity ideas!

Come join us for the Monthly Crafting Book Club. Each month we focus on a different book and encourage early literacy by pairing it with a craft.

Monthly Crafting Book Club

 
 
http://www.raisingfairiesandknights.com/dinosaur-craft/


ethannevelyn.com
Thinking Outside The Pot

21 comments:

  1. Wow! I cannot say how much I love this activity. I am trying to work on colour recognition with my 2 year old and this would be perfect. He loves tucking his baby's into bed as well. He would love this!

    Thanks so much for joining us at the #monthlycraftingbookclub this month!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like it! Sounds like he would love it. :) It's a little "below" my 4 year old, so I think she enjoyed tucking the dinosaurs in the most. ha ha

      Delete
  2. This is awesome!!! I nanny two four year olds that would LOVE this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw I read these dinosaur books to my children and they are so cute. I love the craft idea to go along with the books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These books are a lot of fun. I would love to check out some others in the series soon!

      Delete
  4. Someday when my boy is old enough..i ll definitely try this.
    Maybe i ll pass this link on to my sons nursery..they ll enjoy this with the older class...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be awesome, thanks! It's such an easy, cheap, and fun activity to set up. :)

      Delete
  5. This is so cute! I will definitely have to keep this in mind for when my son is old enough. Thanks for this fun little craft!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love crafts and my son loves dinosaurs! This couldn't be more perfect for us. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, I love this! What a great way to combine so many things into one activity. When my little babe gets older, we'll definitely be referring back to this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My son is obsessed with dinos!! We will be trying this out at my house!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so stinking cute!! I love the idea of crafts that go with books! I'll be following along to see what's next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I'll give you a hint for the next one: It's an Eric Carle book. ;)

      Delete
  10. These are pretty awesome! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Color matching activities are so much fun and this idea is a great one! And don't you just love it when you can match a book up to a learning activity like this?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love being able to incorporate learning into fun activities like this! :)

      Delete
  12. This looks like such a great activity. I will definitely need to remember it for when we start to work on color matching with our little one. Thank you so much for sharing.
    P.S. We also love dinosaurs in this household!

    ReplyDelete
  13. when my son is bigger, I know he'll love this! he loves dinosaurs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This would be a great activity for my son. He loves dinosaurs and is getting to the age he likes doing crafts if they are quick.

    ReplyDelete