Friday, December 12, 2014

TDT: Not Your Typical Bubble Painting

            Hey folks! My poor little peapod has been sick, so I figured what better time to do a fun activity indoors? I started out with the whole mixing water with cornstarch business, but Myka wasn't that into it. When I let the goop drip off my fingers onto hers, well, let's just say there were tears and not from me. I let her wash her hands in the kitchen sink and that's when I had the "brilliant" idea of combining her two favorite things: bubbles and playing in water.
            My best friend got her a beginner set of watercolor paints for her birthday in October and we just got around to using them a few weeks ago. As it turns out, Myka liked playing in the water with the brush more than actually painting. (Figures, right? I try to look at it as, "At least she was still entertained".) She has also "helped" me do the dishes a few times lately and absolutely LOVES playing with bubbles in the bath. So, I rinsed out the goop from our activity tub, as I call it, and filled it up with warm soapy water. I got the watercolor paints out and we went about our "bubble painting".


            This is a great activity for toddlers for several reasons. First of all, I can't be the only one who has a kid that doesn't enjoy messy sensory activities. Plus, what kid doesn't like bubbles? Two, it provides an opportunity to learn colors. Three, it's good hand-eye coordination practice as well as helps develop fine motor skills. Four, even if your child decides to stick his/her hand/arm in the water, it's just soapy water and watercolors! Nothing too nasty to worry about. ;) Five, you have one less component to clean up since you can just dip the paintbrush in your water tub. Finally, this is practically a self-cleaning activity.
            What kind of painting activities do you and your children enjoy?

4 comments:

  1. THis looks like a perfect craft/activity for my daughter! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a neat idea! My son is 6 and would love to bubble paint like that. This is definitely going on our activity list of things to try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard of bubble painting but my niece would love it

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like fun. I might try this with my 3 year old.

    ReplyDelete