Monday, August 11, 2014

Working is for the Birds






            We finally got some VERY good news last week that my husband got the job we've been anxiously waiting to hear for at least a month now. Good thing too because it's only been a little over a week and I'm already not digging this whole work thing.
            I'm as wishy-washy as Charlie Brown sometimes and I'll be the first person to admit it. (It's a woman's prerogative to change her mind, right?) I was (mostly) excited to be going back to work since I'm always complaining about how I feel bad that I don't contribute financially to our little family and I was also looking forward to a much needed break from Myka. Well, like I said, it's only been a little over a week since I started my new job and I already think work is for the birds.
            The job itself isn't too bad...other than the fact that they expect you to get way more accomplished than is physically possible for one person for very little pay. I'll leave it at that. We're not supposed to talk about work outside of work anyways. (Or the residents, at least.) I joked with someone the other day that it's like Vegas: What happens at undisclosed company stays at undisclosed company. lol But, without going into too much detail, I can't stand the attitudes of some of the other employees. Enough so that I will not sit idly by and don't have plans on staying for long.
            Other than that, I've been and am scheduled to be working more than I thought/was told I would be at first. While I do get to spend time with Myka in the evenings, everything just feels rushed now. Especially if I have "chores" to do, like dishes, laundry, etc. I just had 2 days off in a row and still didn't get everything accomplished that I had hoped to.
            While it's nice not being uneasy while I'm at work worrying about Myka since she either stays with my mom or one of my aunts, I'd still rather be home with her...Even if she does drive me nuts sometimes. With my husband's new job, I will (thankfully) be able to afford to stay home with her still AND we won't be just scraping by like we were before.
            I'd also just like to say that I hope none of you working moms out there think I'm bashing you. Every family has different financial circumstances and feelings towards working vs. staying at home. There is no right or wrong when it comes to whatever you decide. In our case, John and I decided not long after Myka was born that we would prefer one of us (whoever makes less money, which is always me, of course) to stay home with our kids if we are able. That's just what feels right for us.
            Have any of you ever felt torn about the whole going back to work vs. staying at home decision? Or was it a "no brainer" for you to decide one way or another?

No comments:

Post a Comment