Monday, October 14, 2013

Halloween Traditions

            Fall and Halloween are absolutely my very, very favorite time of year and have been for as long as I can remember. That’s why I was particularly excited that our daughter’s birthday is in October. We’re even more excited this year since we can start sharing our Halloween traditions with her!
            I have to admit, I miss autumn in Indiana since it actually cools off and the leaves change sooner/at all. Arkansas falls have been kind of a bummer since we have lived here. Last year I was still wearing shorts and a t-shirt to the hospital when I had Myka. (It was literally one week before her birthday when I wrote this and I still had on the same attire this year. Ugh!) I think there has only been one year where the leaves actually turned the pretty colors instead of being so dry they just shriveled up, turned brown and crispy, and fell off. :(
            However, we have still made the best of it! We like to carve pumpkins, of course, every year. I don’t know why I always look so forward to it. Every time I get to the actual carving part I remember what a pain in the ass it is. Lol We usually come up with some interesting designs/faces. One year my husband (unintentionally) made one that looked like Beavis. Lol
            We did pumpkins way early last year since we knew we wouldn’t want to or have the energy for it once Myka was here. I made a scary face with pointy glow in the dark teeth and John made a somewhat derpy looking one with nails for teeth. Haha! What was really fun was having my husband paint my belly like a pumpkin!

            Two years ago we made a Halloween tree, which is just about the coolest thing ever, if you ask me! We used an outdoor decorative tree, put some lights on it, and spooky ornaments. Jack Skellington would be proud. ;) Hmm…I might have to do a DIY Wednesday post on this. ;)

            Then, of course, there are the scary movies! Admittedly, I’m a horror movie loving freak, so most of my favorite “Halloween movies” get watched at least one other time during the year…Especially since we don’t have satellite or cable. Yep. You read right. Some of my top favorites are “Let Me In”, Trick r Treat”, and pretty much anything by Rob Zombie. (Told you I was a freak. ;)  ) Although not scary, “It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown” is also a must watch. :)
            What are you favorite things to do at Halloween time?

No comments:

Post a Comment