Thursday, January 17, 2013

Homemade Baby Wipes: Just the Beginning


1/17/13

Wanted to start today off by saying how happy I am that I finally had NO LEAKS with Myka’s cloth diapers AT ALL last night! The downside is that I had to use so much “padding” that the diaper was ridiculously bulky and probably not all that comfortable for her either. :/

Starting about a month, maybe a little less, ago, my now 3 month old daughter’s diapers starting leaking at night. Since then, I have been having a trial and error battle in trying to find something that works at night. As I mentioned previously, we don’t exactly have all the money in the world right now, so I had been trying to use inserts and pre-folds I already had to try and fix the problem. (Also I HATE spending money on something if I don’t know for absolute sure that it’s going to work!) So anyways, last night was the first night we had no leaks at the “middle of the night” change and late morning change when she seems to pee the most. Yay! (Just to clarify, I haven’t been changing and washing jammies and crib sheets every day. There were several nights when I said, “screw it” and just stuck disposables on her. You will find out I am a person of little patience most of the time and messing around with diaper inserts in the middle of the night and changing crib sheets 4 times in a week gets old quickly. Those things are evil!) I did give in last night and ordered some hemp inserts and doublers to try after reading how awesome they are supposed to be with heavy wetters and overnight protection. Can’t hurt, right?

This actually, in a way, brings me to today’s topic. Homemade items. As I mentioned last time, my husband and I (Ok, so my husband does more of the actual work than I do, but I’m working on it. ;) are getting really into just making every day items at home. It started out with baby stuff, like her wipes and detergent to clean her cloth diaper inserts with before actually washing in the machine. Now we are starting to get into “big people” things as well, like laundry detergent, hand soap, and my husband is wanting to try deodorant and shampoo in the near future as well. (To be honest, I’m a little leery about the shampoo because I am VERY, uh, overprotective, I guess is the word I’m looking for, of my hair. But when you get down to it, there are less chemicals in homemade shampoo than the store bought kind, so shouldn’t I be more worried about that ginormous bottle of Suave in the shower?)

I am loving the homemade baby wipes! We had decided before Myka was even born that we were going to try to make our own wipes because again, less chemicals, less money! Gotta love win/win situations! Well, we never got around to trying them before she arrived, so we went ahead and tried using the buttload of Walmart brand wipes that I received at my baby shower. Lo and behold, her poor little booty did NOT take well to those, so we tried the Pampers Sensitive, I believe. She was still getting diaper rash, just not nearly as bad as with the off brand wipes. I actually had to call the pediatrician at one point and get prescription cream. L Well, the store bought wipes finally ran out, we made our own, and I think I’ve used diaper cream on her MAYBE three times in the last 2 ½ months. And the times I did use it she really didn’t have a bad rash, it was just kind of red and I was trying to prevent it from getting any worse. Anyways, I feel like I’m rambling. :D The wipes are SO easy to make on top of not hurting her booty! If interested in trying these for yourselves you can find our recipe here: http://www.facebook.com/notes/parents-paradise/how-to-make-your-own-homemade-baby-wipes-not-as-hard-as-you-may-think/513491492007059
And while you’re there and happen to have a Facebook account, I would greatly appreciate it if you liked my page! It’s new too, but there are a lot of helpful things for parents there!


No comments:

Post a Comment