Hey folks! I hadn't planned on it, but here we are again with another homesteading post this Monday. :) I can't help myself. We're excited for spring to get here already. I blame the unseasonably warm weather we've been having!
As I've mentioned before, Mr.Bruce, our American Guinea Hog, has done a MUCH better job of tilling our garden for us than anticipated. With that being said, we probably should have and could have moved him much sooner than now. My in-laws are supposed to be coming over tomorrow to help move his fence and his house. (It will be SO much easier with 4 of us, I can just feel it!) Since we had to remove his harness because he's gotten so damn big over the past few months (he's a little over 8 months old now!), our method of moving him should be interesting. This will consist of getting him back in his “baby pen” and pretty much scooting him along. Ha ha Good thing we aren't moving him far from his current “pasture”.
Besides being eager for our tax return this year so we can hopefully use some of it to do some more repairs on the house, I would also really like to “invest” in a lady friend for Mr.Bruce. This has always kind of been the plan so he has a friend, but the more we read/watch about American Guinea Hogs and how rare they are and how much you can make from selling piglets each year, we are becoming even more anxious to get him a lady friend! (You know what's awesome about Guinea Hogs? You don't have to separate the males from the females after they have their babies like a lot of animals!)
John also started working on a mini-greenhouse a month or so ago. Unfortunately, the plastic he got for it was thinner than he expected, so I think he's waiting to get some sturdier stuff to finish it or double layer it with the thin when he gets time or something. I don't really know, to be honest. Ha ha I'm sure it will get done before spring, though. ;) I'm looking forward to having extra room (and more heat!) for plant starts this year. We always start more than we need, too, so hopefully I can make some extra money selling some through a local homesteading group on Facebook too!
I'm not sure why I put it off for so long because it wasn't NEARLY as bad as I thought it would be, but we finally got around to cleaning the sunroom out the other day. This is where we usually keep our plant starts and do our “experiments”. Ha ha We needed to dump a bunch of stuff out that didn't work (told you; experiments) and there was just a bunch of random stuff that needed to be dealt with. It was one of my winter to-do projects and now it's nice and ready for planting!
We've bought a ton of seeds already (in fact, as soon as I write this I'm making a master list of what all we do have). We even let Myka pick out what she would like to grow in her own patch of garden this year, so that should be interesting. She's not very good about following through with things because, you know, she's FOUR.